Sunday, May 4, 2014

Another flood, another dam gone

Where the dam was. 
And this time the dam is gone gone. Every single stick of it it gone.

You might remember the heavy rain we had last Wednesday. As you can see from the stream data that rain caused very high water. And that washed away the dam.

I poked around the area and saw no signs that the beavers are still there. I looked in what I believe was their bank den and didn't see any tracks.

This is, of course, very disappointing, but not really surprising. Twice before in the last three years, beaver dams have  been destroyed by flash floods in the park. Those flash floods, and the damage they do, are one of the reasons that Maryland has adopted a stormwater fee. But you probably know that already, don't you.

Please let me know if you see any beaver sign along Minebank Run.

I just read a fascinating story in a recent Bay Journal. It discusses, among other things, the positive impact that beavers have had on the bay.  Here is a link: http://www.bayjournal.com/article/core_sediments_reveal_when_a_wetter_bay_was_wildly_healthier



Meanwhile, back at the ranch....Last Sunday I took the youth of my church to the park to see what there was to see. We looked at the camera and they held a vote on where they would like to place the camera. They chose an animal den on the slope about 40 yards from the dam, on the east side of the run.

We captured some videos that I hope you will enjoy.








So, we are off on another mission. Stay tuned.

Go outside and play. 





No comments:

Post a Comment