Saturday, April 19, 2014

The beavers are still there, and it's a beautiful spring day

19 April 2014. The dam is in the right background.
It's a beautiful spring day.

The dam is still there, and survived the recent heavy rains intact.

While I was looking around at the dam, I noticed a large log, probably five inches diameter and five or six feet long leaning against the front of the dam. It struck me that it was too big for one of the beavers to have put it there. I thought probably a person did.



Later, at home, I checked the pictures.You'll never guess, even in a million years. Turns out that a beaver did move that log. Look closely at the sequence below, of three photographs taken only seconds apart. You'll see that the log is being moved by a beaver. The beaver itself is barely visible on the left end of the log. It's barely more than a gray shadow, but it's there.




The other animals in the park are also out and about. The bluebirds and tree swallows are starting to nest in the boxes. I believe some have laid eggs already. Enjoy the pictures.





Happy Easter.

Go outside and play. 


2 comments:

  1. After the Egg Hunt event at Sherwood yesterday, I ate my lunch by the beaver dam. I was pleased to see your new camera mounted on a nearby tree. What a beautiful spot. Thank you for all of your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill,
    Thanks for keeping this going. I always enjoy checking out the critters that we rarely see. I think it's fascinating that a beaver could pull this log. It actually looks bigger than 6 feet long too. Strong critters to say the least.

    Dean in Overlea

    ReplyDelete