Saturday, May 17, 2014

Not much to report

Hi.

There is no sign of beaver activity in the park. I've no idea where they have gone, but I hope they are happy there. It'll be interesting to see how long it is until they return, or others move in to the park.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/baltimore_oriole/id
Meanwhile there are Baltimore Orioles, Orchard Orioles, and lots of other birds in the park. Why not stop by and see why the local baseball team picked those colors for their uniforms?










http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/blue-gray_gnatcatcher/id
A Blue-gray Gnatcatcher has built a nest in a tree close to the Nature Center. Extra credit if you can find it as they are well disguised nests.










Beginning of a Chickadee nest. 17 May 2014.
And the camera is still out there. Last week I tried to capture an Eastern Bluebird on film and failed. I think because the camera was too far away from the nest box. Poking around today, I found the beginning of a Carolina Chickadee nest in one of the boxes.  They are beautiful nests, made mostly of moss.

If I'm lucky, I will have some fun videos of a pair of Chickadees building a nest and feeding their young. Stay tuned.




Go outside and Play.

1 comment:

  1. Found beaver signs!

    In the past couple of years we had noticed that every time a dam got knocked down, the beavers moved further upstream. When the last one next to talmar was knocked down, my daughter and I reasoned that if they moved further upstream they'd be in someone's backyard.

    Today we were walking on Baltimore Lutheran High School's cross country course next to Minebank run. We ran across a tree cut down by a beaver and found a few others. Then we looked and found the remains of a dam in Minebank. Looks like it has been a while though. The dam is just south of cowpens road, you can probably see it from the bridge but it's easy enough to walk the trail.

    I'll put pictures on the cromwell facebook page tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete