Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Wow. Some great videos.




The lower dam. 15 DEC 2013.
On my last visit to the camera, I made several observations.

1--The last of the two dams has been breached. This is from the rain and melting snow that we experienced recently. As of this writing, there is more snow that will soon melt.

We'll see what happens.






2--There are two beavers in what certainly is a mating pair.I wish I could tell you that from my brilliant tracking observations. But I'm not that brilliant. Keep looking below and you'll see video proof that there are two.

3--Those two beavers have been very active. There are tracks and slides on both sides of Minebank Run. And they are very well used. There also are several medium trees cut down, again on both sides of the run.  There are two food caches in the run, and thee were two dams. The first was washed away completely about two weeks ago. I hope the beavers rebuild the one that still stands.

Meanwhile, I got lucky, and captured some great video of the beaver pair at work.

This picture shows the camera as I set it up on the 7th. You can make out the camera attached to a stump in the left center of the picture. It's focused on a tree the beavers had already cut down. That tree is across the image in the upper half.

I captured a great series of the beavers working. You'll see that it didn't take them long to reduce the tree to almost nothing. They appear to have dragged to branches to the winter food cache in Minebank Run.



So, enjoy the videos below.































More later.



1 comment: