Sunday, October 27, 2013

The beaver is still there

So, the repaired camera came back from the vendor this week. I cannot say enough about the prompt and fast service from www.trailcampro.com. They rock.

I looked around for a new place for the camera and decided to see what is to be seen in an open field. So this is the view from the current camera placement.  I've never put the camera in such an open place. Let's hope we find something. Stay tuned.








Then I decided to poke around the recently storm-destroyed dam. I was decided to see that the beaver is still in Minebank Run, just a little further upstream.


This time, our rodent friend has built two dams, perhaps 30 yards apart.











Upstream from the two dams is a pool where it has started its winter food cache.

I also saw what I believe is the start of the bank den.










And look at the way it's eating the bark off this big tree.
After taking this photograph, I noticed the same thing done to another tree. Both trees are over 2 feet in diameter. It's hard to imagine that the beaver can cut them down. Time will tell.







More later.

1 comment:

  1. I think that if the beaver manages to completely girdle the tree it will die and fall eventually, but not likely within the beaver's lifetime!!

    Enjoying your blog immensely...

    ReplyDelete