Monday, February 18, 2013

Good news. He didn't leave, he just moved....

silt is visible on the left bank, and the pond is full of silt.
I checked on the abandoned dam Saturday. Conditions there are about the same. I did notice that the dam captured a lot of silt. And this in a stream that has been "restored". Without the beaver dam, this silt would have washed downstream. And you already know, I am sure, that downstream is the Chesapeake Bay.

Seems to me that we have a lot of work to do to improve urban water quality.



I also checked the camera that I had left in place to see if it could pick up whatever critter has moved in to the abandoned beaver den. It failed at that, but did pick up some other wildlife in the area.




















the new dam. 2013-02-16.
The the good news. I learned from the park staff that rumor has it that there is beaver activity further downstream. It's not just rumor; it's fact. About 320 feet downstream from the first dam, I found another, smaller one.

I also found several trees cut down by the beaver. It is certainly trying to make a new home for itself.



The camera is in place, overlooking the area where the beaver is cutting down trees.





I don't know what will happen here, though I suspect that this dam, like the previous, will be destroyed by flooding. Time will tell, and I will keep looking.

Meanwhile, you are more than welcome to use any image or text in this blog is free for any educational purpose.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment