Saturday, November 26, 2016

Coyote

I had a chance to poke around Minebank Run the other day and observed something odd. The beaver dam has been unchanged for several weeks. This even though the beaver is still active in the area--that's easily evident from the sticks in the water left over from its eating. As well as the trees it has cut down. But for some reason it's not building a dam. Nor did I see a food cache anywhere.

I did, though capture a coyote. This is the second time I've done that. I was struck by the fact that it was in the same place that I have photographed a fox. As I understand, the coyotes will become the alpha predator in the area, and will drive down the fox population. We'll see.

Meanwhile the residents are having fun in the park. Hope you are too.






































2 comments:

  1. Went to check this out on the 27th. Like you say, the beaver doesn't seem to be working on the dam, but it's working on something - plenty of trees being cut down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw the coyote tracks on the Minebank Run trail today. Very cool

    ReplyDelete