Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Cue Timon, Cue Simba, bring in Rafiki--it's the circle of life....

So, like the Car Talk Puzzler, the blog has been on summer vacation. But we are now back to work.

I have two things to offer with this entry. Some new pictures and an interesting beaver update.

After the beavers were flooded out, I decided to take the camera uphill to see what might be seen. Below are some pictures from that.

Meanwhile, new beavers were seen in the park. A small start of a dam was seen upstream from any earlier sightings. Today, I had a chance to explore, so I determined to go and see what that new dam looks like. I started about 50 yards upstream from the old dam and walked. I walked through water, and sand, and, and, and, found nothing.

That's not really true.

I found a turtle.



















And a Great blue heron. (It's in the center background, trust me.)
















And a really cool looking dragonfly.


















And a deer.




















And proof that a fox has been around.



















And I found that my boots and socks and pants were very wet.












All in all, a good Thoreau kind 0f saunter.

But I did not find any sign of beaver. So, I turned around and went back upstream. I decided to go all the way upstream to where the beaver was firs seen about a year ago; just to see what was to be seen.

I saw the original beaver den. It was built pretty well and is still there. It's probably home to another animal.
















A few yards upstream, just where the old dam was--you'll never guess what I saw.

Wait for it.

Can you guess?



the dam. 21 August 2013.
Yep. The beginnings of a new dam, just where the old one was.

And just about a year after the old one started.

Another year--another cycle.

Fascinating.








Other notes. As you can see from the pictures below, the deer are forming new antlers. Fall, and the rut, are coming soon.













I don't plan to keep the camera on the beaver this time. I am looking to the hills this fall and winter, so have decided to keep the cameras at higher elevations. It'll be fun to see what is up there.

More later.
















No comments:

Post a Comment